Monday, April 21, 2014

My Vow

I, Amy Bailes, do hereby declare that:

I will not buy any fabric to add to stash;

I must sew/use 2.5 yards of fabric before buying a single yard of fabric.

It's past time to get the stash under control.


Last year, we bought our next door neighbor's house and land. We tore down our old mobile home and moved into the new (to us) house.* I love this place - we have room to spread out. Unfortunately, although we gained 600 square feet of house, we actually have less storage space, less closet space. Go figure...

Anyway, when we moved in, I put shelving up in the utility room and my fabric stash completely filled the bottom 4 shelves. For the first time in 20 years of sewing, all my fabric was in one spot and I could see every piece of fabric that I had bought and then not used. 

Well, it was all in one spot until this February, when I decided that I no longer wanted my sewing desk in my bedroom. I wanted my bedroom to be just a bedroom. I wanted to be able to make my bed and not trip over the sewing desk chair. After pulling my fabric off the shelves, I moved my sewing desk and pattern cabinet into the utility room. Man, I have a lot of fabric. I guess most sewers do.

Seriously, I have a piece of fabric that I bought the year I learned to sew. I remember buying it! I remember what project I was going to use it for. I remember what town & state we were in when I bought it (Lake Jackson, Texas). I have fabric that I remember buying when Hannah was 6 months old; I was planning on making smocked dresses (bought at Famous Fabrics in Monroe). I have fabric that I bought when Rachael was a baby. And even more fabric that I bought when Debra was still in diapers. 

When we first decided to buy this house, I started going through fabric. I gave away a lot of fabric. A lot. Every piece; every yard that I now have? I love it. It's not something that I'm not willing to part with. All the fabric that I still have is in 4 - 120 quart plastic storage boxes and 2 - 100 quart plastic storage boxes.

So, that why I've made the vow. It's time. Past time. I'm not saying that I don't want to have a stash, but I would like to have maybe half of my current stash? We will see. At least one less storage box of fabric would be nice.**

*We have central heat and air. I love not having to get up twice a night during winter to put wood in the heater to keep the house warm.

**Notice I said nothing about the yarn stash?

***Want to take a wild guess as to where the fabric stash is being stored? Irony, thy name is Amy - all those storage boxes are in my.... bedroom. Yeah, let's not talk about it.

3 comments:

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Wow! I have to say, I took sewing lessons in the 6th grade and you picked your pattern then picked your fabric, and I never heard of a stash until I joined PR. I had to ask a blogger what her stash referred to! Now I have one, and I kind of regret it. I only have a few drawers and 2 storage boxes of fabric, but I feel guilty every time I find something I was planning to sew up then forgot about. Good luck to you!

Lisa Laree said...

Oy. I hear you. So far, about the only thing that has kept me from adding to the current massive stash is the ironclad condition I gave to myself that the current epic project must be completed before I put a yard in a shopping cart...real or virtual.

This has been my lowest fabric-acquisition winter/spring ever. I hope I don't lose all control and go bonkers once the coat's done and the ban's lifted. ;-)

Amy Bailes said...

Dr. Fun - I feel guilty about my stash. I really didn't realize how much I had until I started cleaning out our old place to move into here. Oh my!

Lisa - I had to make myself push post. I really do need to get the stash sewn down some. That said, I better get busy because my husband has hinted (very loudly) that he wants several pairs of new PJs.