Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A Bit of Selfishness

I think that most of y'all know that whenever we have long school breaks, we spend that time with my husband where ever he might be working at the time. Currently, he's in Baytown, TX.

Last month, while we were on Spring Break I had the awesome chance to visit a couple of yarn shops. It felt like pure luxury. First because I got to go by myself! Second because I only had to drive 25 miles to get to it. Here at home, I have to drive to Shreveport or over to Jackson, MS. - we're talking 3 hours in a vehicle. One way. Needless to say, those trips are usually only made once a year.

At the first yarn shop, Park Avenue Yarns, I bought a couple of Kim Hargreaves pattern books, 2 pair of circular needles and 10 skeins of Cherry Red Hempathy by Elsebeth Lavold. 


It's a sport-weight yarn, hemp/cotton/rayon blend. The notes on Ravelry says that swatching is essential since this yarn blooms after washing. I still didn't swatch - I like knitting dangerously. 

The sweater is Maggie by Kim Hargreaves. I have to say this about Ms. Hargreaves. I'm not sure if I've ever seen any other knitwear designer manage to have as many patterns that I love and want to knit. right. now as she has.

My notes on the few mods that I made are here.





I currently have a summer shawl blocking - I'll share that in the next few days.

3 comments:

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

That is so gorgeous - the yarn looks amazing, but the sweater style looks RTW too! I'm fixing to buy my first knitting books in a while - Ravelry kind of spoiled me because I refused to pay for a pattern when they had so many free ones, but it IS hard to find a style you really like for free.

Sheila said...

Lovely sweater. I had the opportunity to knit with EL's hempathy and loved it. I also knit dangerously and don't always swatch. Great job.

Sheila said...

Lovely sweater. I had the opportunity to knit with EL's hempathy and loved it. I also knit dangerously and don't always swatch. Great job.