Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Where Did January Go?

I spent most of January sick. Sick. SICK.

Sick enough that I didn't leave the house for two weeks except for a trip to the doctor's office and the pharmacy to pick up some not-so-great meds. I really think the cough medicine made my cough worse! Anyway, I spent most of my time knitting. Laying down caused the cough to worsen, so it was needful to find a low-energy level task to keep me occupied. Knitting certainly fills that task.

I volunteered for a test-knit for a girl's sweater. It's still being test-knit but I'm finished with my version. A basic cardigan with hoodie and a double-knit belt. This pattern also had the new-to-me technique of knitting the set-in sleeves with short-rows. Definitely an idea to keep in mind for future sweater knitting.



The Details:

Ravelry project page.
size 10 - 27" chest
used 1044 yards of Madelinetosh Tosh DK in Robin's Egg Blue on size 7 needles
mods: knit sleeves shorter - Rachael wanted bracelet length. I'm kind of meh about that but she's happy with the length and she is the person wearing the sweater.
The designer's blog (Trapping and Trinkets) can be found here.

******************************************

I re-knit my Ascot Bow Scarf since I was not pleased with how the bow flopped over. This time I chose a yarn that was 100% wool and knit in a tighter gauge. Full details can be found here. With modified instructions here. To use up more of the yarn, I also knit Hannah an ear warmer upon request.



The Details:

Ravelry project pages are linked above.
The scarf is my design, the ear warmer is Cablerimetry.
Knit with Madelinetosh Vintage in Silver Fox on size 7 needles (both projects).
Mods: on scarf = tighter gauge; on ear warmer = added two repeats of the cables and two ribbing stitches on each side.

NEXT PROJECT! Yes, I've really been that sick.

While knitting Rachael's sweater, little Miss. Debra kept asking for me to knit her something. I had some yarn that I was tired of looking at and thought that maybe a pair of legwarmers would be a good knit item to make for her. These are a test knit also. Windermere Legwarmers.

Sorry, I don't have modeled photos yet. 

I also volunteered for another test knit to make Debra a hat using the same yarn. These two projects were nice and fast knits. Yay for instant gratification!



The Details:
Ravelry project page: Windermere Legwarmers
The 3-6 years size used 145 yards on size size 4 & size 6 needles
The designers Etsy shop (Squidge and Bean) can be found here.
Ravelry project page: Rhiannon Slouch
The child size (19") used 171 yards on size 5 & size 7 needles
Yarn: Rowan's Amy Butler belle organic dk in Moonflower
The designer's blog (The Yarn and the Restless Knitter) can be found here.

I have just under a skein left (102 yards) and have cast on for headband/earwarmer for Rachael to use up the last of that yarn.

If you've made it through all of that? I want y'all to know that January and February are supposed to be Selfish Knitting months! I, obviously, suck at the selfish knitting thing.

1 comment:

Sister said...

Holy crap, you WERE sick! You must knit fast, too. I LOVE that sweater - it is gorgeous. I am sickened that I haven't even finished my beige sweater I started in November, but I keep messing things up...like not realizing I needed to do a sleeve cap - lots of ripping in my future. Hope you're feeling better!