Monday, December 31, 2012

Goodbye 2012

This year has been a year of change for me. Some good, some bad, but a lot of changes. I've spent the last few days reflecting on this year.

In May, a friend told me about MyFitnessPal, an app that she was using to track her calories. I downloaded the app to my phone with absolutely NO intention of trying to lose weight. I've spent years on Weight Watchers and it would work for a while but I always became bored and distracted. For some reason, MFP and the calorie counting thing worked for me, like the counting points never did. I lost 25 pounds by the end of October when I went on maintenance for the winter months and holiday eating. I did gain 5 pounds back but I expected that I would.

I also started to work out 4 to 5 times a week. Since I am Apostolic and won't wear pants around men, that left going to a gym out of my plans. I did a search and found Jason Yun's website, LBN Online Fitness. I love this program! It starts off slow with low impact and gets progressively harder. There is a different video for each day and even several different warm-up videos to choose from. Not much is needed to start working out. A yoga mat and some resistance bands and you're good to go.

Another change happened the morning after my 40th birthday. Let me just say that my birthday was absolutely horrible. I pray to God that there is NEVER a repeat of that day. The next morning, I woke up and realized that I was so busy trying to please everyone around me that not only was I constantly unhappy but that I could not change others. The only person that I could change was me. I started to spend more time taking care of myself. I would get up in the morning, shut my bedroom door and work on making myself look like I am truly a child of the King Most High. Not like a stay-at-home mom that cared nothing for how she looked. No more holes in my shirts, no more hair thrown up in a messy bun, no more unwashed face with acne. Just no more of that! I started taking care of myself. With that came a lot of renewal of the self-esteem that has slowly been slipping away for the last 20 years. It brought me to the point where I actually started no longer allowing myself to be the family door mat. The return of my self-esteem also brought me a closer walk with God. That more than anything makes me happy. How can I believe that there is a God that loves me if I can't love myself?

More things have occurred but I'm just trying to hit the highlights.

Anyway, Happy New Year. May this next year be a blessing to you!

Oh! In case you're wondering what I'm working on, it's a pair of legwarmers using the leftover yarn from my Bow Scarf. One is finished and the second is halfway done. Look for those to be up in a few days! They're fabulous.


2 comments:

gwensews said...

Congratulations on making you a new you! Weight loss is difficult to say the least. Getting your head into the game is key. Best wishes for more good things to come in 2013.

Sister said...

Hooray for your new attitude and taking better care of yourself! Happy 2013 too...