If she wants it in June, better ask Mom in February to make it. It will get made with more time. Anyway, two Saturday's ago after Rachael played at ULM's Piano Festival (she made a superior!), we hit up Hancock's and got a pattern (New Look 6210) and 2.5 yards of very thin blue jersey and a 1 yard of pink satin (I advised against both but she wanted that color jersey and that color satin).
Our inspiration dress:
The pattern worked perfectly with a few alterations since this is an adult pattern and Rachael is still growing from a child's body into a young lady's shape. I started with view A bodice and morphed it to view C skirt in a size 12. I scooped out the back and raised the front neckline 2". I took in the center back seam 1 1/4" only towards the top since she does not yet have an adult's broadness. When she tried on the dress, I ended up taking in another 1/2" at the underarm - it flaired out just a tad.
The dress looked exactly like the above photo. Except, the jersey was too thin. It clung to her curves. And there was the bow. The bow was cute but she had picked out a pink satin and since the wrong side showed, I lined it. This was a mistake it proved to be too thick for the look we were going for. We both agreed that we needed to look for a slightly thicker fabric for the dress and a totally different fabric for the bow.
In other news, I finally finished a knit project. I had made a pair of fingerless mitts, wove in threads, blocked them and even wore them twice. Unfortunately, with those two wearings I realized that I had made them just a few rows too long. My pinkies couldn't decide if they were supposed to be outside the mitts or inside. It was driving me nutsy! I unpicked the bind-off, frogged back the garter stitch edge and then an additional 5 rows. From there, I knit 3 rows of garter stitch and bound off. They are the perfect length now. Yay me!